Sunday, September 18, 2011

Talking Points #1

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

     McIntosh argues that white people on a regular basis, unknowingly take advantage of their "white privilege" and way that they live their lives. The environment that taught them to be unmindful to their advantages, is in itself the problem. Reason being that the unconscious disregard that their whiteness is a race is in fact the very act that makes other people of different color feel oppressed. I found there to be an unspoken message or maybe it was just a realization I made, but there are so many things that minorities will never have the opportunity to fully experience or understand, simply because they are not white.  Despite how hard they work, how much money they have, or even what person they marry, they will never have white privileges.
     The main point that she discusses is that just being white gives you a mentality that blinds you to struggles that other races face from day to day.
     In class I would like to bring up the 26 small details taken for granted by the privileged whites.  Until you see it right in front of you, it's hard to recognize the struggles that others face. I believe that those of a dominant group don't often see the hidden privileges and shelter that they have.
     I would say that I take advantage of the 26 listed points.  Despite being Native American, I don't really notice my race (I wasn't really raised to notice it) but reading through this list and recognizing them was very strange.

2 comments:

Sammi Machado said...

"Despite how hard they work, how much money they have, or even what person they marry, they will never have white privileges." This is so so true, and it's really sad that it must be true. I mean, I'm white and I don't see why people of other races can't have the same things I have. It's something I'll never understand, but if I could do something that allows them to be truly equal to the so-called privileged race, I would do it without a second thought. Why should I get any special privileges just because of my skin color? Why shouldn't everyone get treated equally and get the respect that a human being deserves, no matter their race, religion, sexuality, political stance, or whatever. :/

cupcake0628 said...

I do agree with Sammi and that it is not right for whites to receive all the privilege, but unfortunately the world works in a different way and other people do not think like we do or should think.

-Ariel Croce